Pages

Tuesday 28 September 2010

Back to normal, whatever that is

When we got back after a long weekend away, there were getting on for 300 emails... not that I am quite so popular, but we have a very busy Freecycle group around here! Sadly one of them was telling me that a job I'd applied for and felt I had a good chance of had been put on hold as the company is being taken over - a shame but not exactly a surprise. Also had a cryptic message from a friend from way back saying that she needed to talk to me urgently - the sort of message that you know means that someone has died. Indeed this was the case - my friend was trying to find a contact number for a mutual friend who's ex-wife had died, apparently after being ill for some time. They had been divorced for over thirty years, and weren't in touch, so nobody knew how to get hold of him and people were getting desperate lest he heard before he was told, if you see what I mean. I was able to supply a number, so hopefully the chain of communication has been completed and the sad news shared. These things always have some effect, even after thirty years, and the loss of someone who used to be a love is painful at any time. I didn't know her, I met her only once, but she was no great age and I am sad for her husband and children. I know that my friend (her ex-husband) will be sad, so D, I am thinking of you now.

My dear husband had a traumatic evening and morning - he's been doing some work for a friend of ours who has kindly offered him some stuff to do while I am between engagements... it was all right when it was working on a building site, but then serious stress developed when he was asked to go to Guernsey to do some research... this was discussed a week or two ago, and we decided that we would both go and share the work, for the cost of my flights we could at least have a change of scenery... Then the need became very pressing, it has to be done this week and by the way the flight was booked for 9.50 Tuesday morning! So after a frantic evening working out what he needed to do and where he needed to do it, I dropped him at Southampton Airport about 8.30 this morning. He seems to have got there ok, despite his horror of going in aircraft that he can't drive himself! Sadly I couldn't go, as I have hospital appointments scheduled this week.

In the meantime I am looking at a huge pile of laundry, another huge pile of salty damp foul weather gear and last night's washing up - think I will have a bath and forget about it all for now.

Tomorrow's entertainment is the regular appointment with the oncologist. This is the precursor to my final chemo session in a fortnight, so hopefully I will come away with a better idea of the plan for the next couple of months. The nurses at the chemo clinic say that they usually expect to schedule surgery between 3 and 6 weeks after the final chemo dose, so that the chemo has time to do its stuff and there isn't an interval big enough for the tumour to start growing again before the big tall bloke (sorry, the consultant surgeon) cuts it out. I have finally sorted out with the insurance company to continue my medical insurance, so at least I can be flexible about dates and be in a private room when he cuts me up, which will take one layer of stress away. I think it's worth paying the insurance premiums for a few months just in case there is any further stress, and also it will pay for the next round of scans to be done privately if need be. It seems very strange to be talking about the surgery, it makes it feel as though the thing is starting to draw to a close. In some ways it is, but it will still be about two months before they take a knife to me, and another chemo session to wreck me in the meantime.

Bright news - at least some of the job leads are starting to generate interviews, so that's a positive sign! Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment