Pages

Wednesday 1 September 2010

Back home

Back from the hospital... Interesting. I was warned that some people get an allergic reaction to docetaxel... about two minutes into the infusion I started to feel very tight across the chest. Worse than heartburn, not frightening but noticeable, and the nurses had told me that I MUST tell them if I experienced anything out of the ordinary.
They stopped the infusion and tested my blood pressure, and decided to give me some more steroids (hydrocortizone) and an antihistamine (piriton) to dampen the reactions. They also called the doctor across to look at me - he listened to my breathing and pronounced that all seemed well. The drugs should settle it all down within half an hour, then the infusion could be restarted.
True to their words, the drugs did indeed settle everything down, and once the infusion started (albeit at a much slower rate) all was well. Dearest and best beloved hubby arriving with a tuna sandwich from the WRVS cafe was immensely helpful too!

There was a lady arriving just as I was getting settled who had come in to have a PICC line fitted, she seemed very nervous. I wished I could say to her that it was the best decision I have made in this process - it hurt like stink for about ten seconds and then everything was fine. Although I have to look after it (which means going to the surgery to get it flushed once a week) it has reduced the amount of damage being done to my veins by a huge amount. I see the effects of repeated cannula insertion every time I go there - massive bruises, wrecked veins, all sorts, and I am glad that I was persuaded to get over the "yuk" factor. The lady who I saw yesterday went for it in the end, and seemed happy enough when she left, I hope that it works out well for her. Anyone reading this who is ever asked this question, take it from me - the PICC line is the way to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment