Pages

Saturday 4 September 2010

Bleurgh...

Don't feel so good today.
Achy as anything, not really anything specific, just generally under the weather and shattered. I was warned about this, so am living on paracetamol to keep it at bay at the moment, but remembering to take the stuff before I start to feel bad again is hard. By the time I realise I am overdue for some more I feel rotten...
The real pain at the moment is the total absence of taste... and not just the pink wig this time! I have a very sensitive sense of smell at the moment - the hot roast chicken in the supermarket was calling to me in no uncertain terms - but anything I eat tastes of - well, nothing at all. I first really noticed it yesterday, my ginger beer wasn't very gingery - then the wine I tasted was tasteless. The beer had a vague hoppy after taste, but in truth they all tasted the same. The fresh tuna steak on the barbecue was vaguely fishy - nice but not very flavoursome - and the sausages and burgers tasted exactly the same as everything else. Life is going to be very dull if everything tastes of nothing for the next few weeks. I guess it's a price worth paying as it's only for the next couple of months, but it's one of life's pleasures removed. Hey ho...

One of the guys we went out with yesterday brought his partner with him, I haven't met her before. She has ongoing bladder cancer, has had this for a number of years, and is allergic to the chemotherapy. Consequently she has surgery every few months to keep it in check. The last surgery they caught something they shouldn't have and she was back in hospital with acute peritonitis 12 hours after discharge, leading to a stay in intensive care. And I complain that I have a tough time - I have to be thankful that I am as well as I am and that things are as easy as they have been so far. It could all be so much worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment