Pages

Sunday 21 November 2010

Home and away

A few days at home... I have had a bit of time to relax and get over things, and try and work out where to find the new version of normal.
I had a bath today (swoon). This was the first bath - it has been over a week since the surgery and three days since the drain was removed. so in a moment of desperation (I cannot function when I am sure that I smell so baaaad) I decided that I needed to be submerged in clean water. I ran a nice warm (but not too hot) bath and then bullied DH into examining that which is beneath the dressings - "the wounds"...
There were quite a lot of dressings to be removed, so it took some time, but eventually the last one fell away and the damage was revealed. Starting under my armpit I now have a long scar, which heads down for a few inches then eventually does a 90degree turn frontwards ending in a rather spectacular loop around the pink bit... Worryingly, even after all the dressings were removed we were faced with a couple of very wide steristrips - think of this as wide sticking plasters. It looked for all the world as though the nipple had been sellotaped into place, which isn't the best feeling for a girl! However we peeled these off as well and actually it all doesn't look too bad. Well, I didn't think so until a few minutes ago when I reviewed the photos we took early this afternoon...
It's a bit sore and a bit bruised. Well, OK, it's quite bruised. Maybe very bruised. I wouldn't go beyond that, to be honest, because that might upset people who have been very bruised, and actually I think this is fairly bruised but not very bruised. Quite spectacular pics, though...
The question is, do you, dear reader, really want to see the pictures? Really? Maybe not. Let me know what you think...
I was taking a rather scary combination of painkillers at the hospital. There were the clever pregabalin that the anaesthatist gave me, along with the more everyday paracetemol, diclofenac and codeine. I decided I could manage without the codeine, and substitute ibuprofen for the diclofenac. Wrong. I was in the pharmacy at 4pm Saturday begging for codeine. I mean begging. Not crying, but making it clear that it might happen quite sooon... For all the good it give me. Nice lady behind the counter smiled but couldn't help. She went off to get the pharmacist. Got the sympathetic smile. For all the good that did me... They can't give me more than 8mg mixed with 500mg of paracetemol without a prescription. That means that I can't have more than 16mg of codeine at a time without breaching the max dose of paracetemol... In the hospital I was getting quite a bit more than that. It's been a bit of a rough day today. I will be on the line to the GP at 8am for an appointment tomorrow, and will be begging for some bigger drugs...
It's late...

No comments:

Post a Comment