Pages

Wednesday 30 June 2010

I'm getting with the programme....

Woke with a stinking headache and decided to take paracetemol even if I didn't know if I should or not, on the basis that I did have to be up early to do some tidying up as the district nurse will be visiting today.
First job is to rush to the hospital to have the PICC line redressed - this took half an hour then a mad dash home to try to get there before the nurse arrived. At least now I know I can take paracetemol but must be extra vigilant in case of infection, ie the paracetemol might mask the symptoms of flu or similar.
Made it home with just enough time to clear the sofa and get the kettle on - all district nurses are trained to smell a boiling kettle at a range of 3 miles!
I have now learned to inject myself with G-CSF, which is some stuff to build my white-cell count to try and bolster my immune system which the chemo will hammer badly. I have to stab myself daily for the first 10 days after each cycle - so now I know what my ex goes through with his diabetes. Got it all done without too much trauma though so that's a job I can manage.

No comments:

Post a Comment