Pages

Thursday 9 September 2010

Paradise lost

So - the nurse appeared with the antibiotics and announced that no, she couldn't use the PICC line as there were some bugs in it. So it went into the cannula. And just to cheer me up, they were going to move me to the haematology ward upstairs... So I packed up my gear and waited and soon enough the porter arrived.
I got up to the ward to discover that I don't need to be in isolation any more - and the haematology ward is full of people with dodgy veins and things... I am the youngest here by a factor of two decades. Conversation here takes place at double the normal volume and centres on the activities of physiotherapists, occupational therapists and social services home care services. Visiting time is limited, and there is a huge argument going on between a nurse who is trying to persuade a grumpy lady to press her call bell when she wants the loo rather than just peeing in the pad she's wearing...

The nice doctor tells me that the PICC line is fine, and they will be using it henceforth. We agreed that the cannula will stay in until the PICC has been flushed and is proven to be working, as I am running out of places where they can put a new line in... but once it is all checked then the cannula can come out so at least I have a chance of sleep tonight.
He also said that while my immune system appears to be fine today, they are concerned that it may drop off overnight and they want to monitor it for a little longer. Tomorrow morning, if my white cell count is ok they will discharge me, if not they will isolate me again... So I am in here for another night either way but hopefully my ticket out will be signed first thing. No chance of making the late morning tide, but we might see how we feel about going late evening and arriving early morning... or maybe not bother this weekend.

The lady opposite is now having a blanket bath as her pad was so soaked the bed had to be changed. Although she is saying that she's more comfortable, she is still arguing with the nurse! She can't be bothered with calling the nurse when she wants to pee because she won't have time, and she can't be fussed with calling the nurse after she has peed... and won't accept that she will get sore if she sits in a urine-soaked pad all day. The nurse has a reserve of patience that I think deserves a medal!

It seems that I am not supposed to connect the laptop to anything without having it "checked out by Medical electrics people" - I guess that means PAT tested. Not sure if I dare just plug it in and see what happens... so there may be no further updates for a while if I can't charge the battery... I will sneak the magic dongle out of my bag and try to get connected...

ps - now the nurse has gone there is a long discussion between the grumpy lady and her visitor about the lack of flavour of the latest bag of bananas...
"Where did they come from?"
"The Co-op"
"What does this mean?" (points at logo on bag)
"They are Fair Trade, I am afraid"
"Oh - I suppose that means they were grown somewhere foreign!"

1 comment:

  1. "Oh - I suppose that means they were grown somewhere foreign!"

    So where do they think bananas are grown, Westhoughton? I suppose Lancashire is another country to some people! :-)

    ReplyDelete